The post is about the story of a single programmer (Damien) who had the chance to rewrite the @Formula language engine: it was a very though work, trying to better the @Formula language who was one of the milestone tools written in the "early days" by Ray Ozzie himself (at the beginning not for Lotus Notes, but for Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet).
That story is one of my favourite ones because:
- it's well written, like a novel, a heroic one
- it's a honest story, giving some hints on the "true life" in big sw companies
- it shows the technical challanges the author had to face: the lack of his C++ knowledge, the bugs he had to reintroduce to be compatible with the old @Formula engine
- it shows the existence of "villains" colleagues who think that Damien is just showing off
- the happy ending: the acknowledgement by Ray Ozzie, the guru, who liked the nice work.
Never give up!
1. Formula engine rewrite : the heroic story for any programmer
2. Enhancements to the formula language in Domino 6 : what was new about @Formula
3. LotusScript DatabaseDesign Class : a very handy library for LS programmers
4. last but not least, CouchDb : the new work by Damien, a new "document database server".