11/05/2008

No wi-fi connection? Back to a long USB extension cable...

I know, it's my fault, I did not follow my own two golden rules: ;-)
  • never buy a computer device that is cheaper than others, and SEEMS as good as others... What a good deal! Cheaper & reliable ...

  • never upgrade a device firmare with no specific reason, just because there's a newer version on the company web site
I broke my own rules when I bought my ADSL wi-fi router: Digicom Michelangelo wave b router.

I was happy with that until I decided it was cool to upgrade its firmware to the latest version available. After a while I began to experience frequent connection losses.

What I'm now missing is a good technical forum and effective technical support :-(

Now I'm back to my old ADSL modem and it works very well, no connection losses... I just use a USB cable extension to plug into my pc, a very loooong USB cable, no wi-fi connection...

Anyhow I will try to call the Digicom support and have more assistance: unfortunately there no way to downgrade the firmware to the previous original version ...

In the mean time, can somebody suggest me a really good ADSL wi-fi router to replace my old device? I mean, a reliable router and ALSO a good aftersale support...

3 comments:

smdelfin said...

I've been using one from TP-Link. It is from China, and very inexpensive. The chipset they are using is from Atheros, specifically x2 range and x2 speed, so it can even reach 108MB in wireless (assuming your wifi card is also 108MB compatible). I haven't had any troubles with it, so I don't know about after-sales support. They have a good website, though. http://www.tp-link.com
I also broke your 2nd golden rule, I downloaded and installed their latest firmware. But fortunately for me, I didn't encounter any trouble after the upgrade. Since I also have multiple wired PCs, I even added a switch from them, too.

[m]m said...

my collegues suggest Linksys or D-Link... :)
bye
gluca

Cristian D'Aloisio said...

Too late... ;-)

I bought a Sitecom device with 3 horns.