11/05/2008

NSFDB2 & iSeries: a good idea is NOT dead (yet)

I recently received a polite memo from an IBM guy: he asked me if I'm still using NSFDB2 (Domino on Windows) plus DB2 Federation over iSeries (AS/400,...) and he also asked me some feedback about my previous experience about that.

I am glad about it, really: he's trying to refocus the interest in that subject.

My feedback about that workaround is positive: it worked well in my prototype, as long I used it.

Problem is the DB2 license + Federation option was not cheap, so in the meantime I also had to test other technical solutions to get rid of NSFDB2, or to find a backup solution... ;-)

Here's a small excerpt written by me some months ago (it was a comment to an IBM post):
" In my opinion IBM would make a nice strategic decision to let customers/partners freely use the DB2 server with federation on System i:
- IBM would receive "forgiveness" from customers about the sudden nsfdb2 System i decision ;-)
- it's a way to let many customers study/understand DB2 server on Windows/Linux
Please, extend the Domino R8 licence to freely use db2 federation to System i data.
9/5/2007 8:14:42 AM "

I really hope the IBM guy will find any free way (license) to let Domino companies use NSFDB2 and DB2 Federation to access real-time data from iSeries!

It would be good for NSFDB2 technology, for iSeries customers, for DB2 technology to get more users among Domino companies... ;-)

Some interestinks links:
  • all my previous posts about NSFDB2: link
  • post on DominoBlog blog, with interesting comments, about NSFDB2 & iSeries: link

2 comments:

Roland Reddekop said...

Cristian, it would be really interesting to see an architectural diagram of how you got NSFDB2 to work with Domino and the "i". Is is possible to assemble a working version using IBM trial software?

Cristian D'Aloisio said...

Actually is very simple.

I will try to find some free time to write it down... ;-)