What kind of messages?
You can send a URL address that will show on the users BB device with a custom read/unread icon: you can see the message inside the Inbox OR on the BB device desktop (it depends on the push message type).
When the user clicks on the icon, the browser will load the "pushed" URL and show the page.
To send the push message to can write your own program or download some utilities from the web (it's "just" a custom HTTP call to the BES server), but I suggested you to download ShowTime, the free application written by Chris Toonhey (ask Chris to get the beta version)!
You have to set-up first some parameters in the application (BES server IP, ports were ok for me). Don't forget to enable your Blackberry BES server to accept push messages and restart the service: my BES was not enabled to get push messages by default, although the MDS was on.
I like the code written by Chris:
- you can define serveral pushing profiles (URL to publish, icons, recipients, ...)
- you can push messages on selected profiles OR on all active profiles
- agents and libraries are written using Java
- agents are run in a Lotus Notes client thread (it will not stop/freeze your client)
- you can re-use the code in your code (right Chris?)
I'm making some testing pushing (say publishing) web applications URL to selected users using custom icons. Really nice!