24/03/2012

A DAOS mistery solved: which memo references that specific .NLO file?

Warning:
use this info carefully, it's about DAOS debugging, it's not documented, it can change in the future, maybe it can impact the performance of your Domino server.


I'm working on a case about DAOS:
some .NLO files cannot be read by the Domino server and I get some error message on the console:
"Specified private keys does not exist"

I'm working with IBM Support to find the cause of this problem that luckily does not involve all mailboxes and not all memos (NLO files encrypted with a different server id ?, .NLO files corrupted ?, ...).

Before I openend the ticket with IBM, I was just wondering:

"I like black boxes like DAOS, but I really would like to know the memos inside a mailbox referencing those troublesome .NLO files I can see on the Domino console..."

Why?

Because I just wanted to open those memos and try to open the attachments via a Lotus Notes client and be really sure those Domino console error message were real, not a false positive....

I tried to open the daoscat.nsf but actually it is not easy to reverse-engineer its contents :-)

So I directly asked that question to IBM and after escalating the ticket I got the answer
  • insert DEBUG_DAOS_DIAGNOSTICS=1 in your Domino notes.ini (no need to restart Domino)
  • tell daosmgr LISTNLO MAP -V mail\mymailbox.nsf  (as far as I know it's not case-sensitive)
After you issue the command you will get a text file (a comma-delimited file) with several column:
DOC_NOTEID
DOC_NOTEID_HEX
$FILE_RRV
$FILE_RRV_HEX
$FILE_ATTACHMENT_SIZE
$FILE_FILE_SIZE
RRV_STORAGE
RRV_HASHKEY
RRV_HASHKEYTYPE
RRV_HASH_VALID
RRV_TICKET_VER
RRV_TICKET_KEY
RRV_TICKET_HINT
CATALOG_DAOS_KEY
CATALOG_PATH
CATALOG_STATE
CATALOG_REF_COUNT



Using the info in that output file, especially the Note ID info (column one or two) I could open the memo referencing those troublesome .NLO files on the console, and find out that.... it's not a false positive! :-(

Hope it helps!

No comments: